Haltwhistle Bastle 4
NY 708-641 Northumberland England
Haltwhistle Bastle 4 was originally a 16th or 17th century rectangular stone two storey defensible farmhouse. In 1740, the bastle was incorporated in a two storey house but it still retains a blocked central byre doorway with a squared stone lintel, which can been seen from the alleyway. The strong walls, with a removable stair up to the living quarters and a ground floor for stores and their livestock, provided a shelter from the cross-border reivers, until help arrived. Nearby are Haltwhistle Castle, Haltwhistle Tower and Haltwhistle Bastle 1-3 & 5.
Haltwhistle Bastle 4 is located in the town centre, off Main Street. 21 miles north-east of Carlisle, on the A69.
The site is visible from the road, check website for details.
There is a car park nearby.