NY 079-689 Dumfriesshire Scotland
Comlongon Castle is an early 15th century stone rectangular tower house, founded by the Murray family. Of five storeys and a garret, the ground floor arched entrance is still protected by its original iron yett. Standing on a splayed base, the massive rubble-built walls retains there small square-headed windows and iron grilles. Parts of the corbelled and crenellated parapet are roofed, to form a crow-stepped gabled gallery, a chamber and a caphouse. This successor of Cockpool Castle, was originally encased by a moated courtyard but they were lost in the building of an adjoining late 19th century two storey house. Badly damaged by fire, the house was replaced in 1901 by a three storey Baronial mansion, which compliments the tower with its use of corbelling and crow-stepped gables. 4 miles north is Mouswald Place and 5 miles south-west is Caerlaverock Castle.
Comlongon Castle is located west of Clarencefield, off the B724. 10 miles south-east of Dumfries on the A75-B724.
The site is a privately owned hotel and offers exclusive use, hotel accommodation, banquets, a wedding ceremony or corporate events, check website for details.
There is a car park.