NY 070-677 Dumfriesshire Scotland
Cockpool Castle is a 13th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by the de Moravia family. From 1320 to 1450, the castle was held by the Murrays, of Cockpule and is the predecessor of Comlongon Castle. During the 'Rough Wooing' invasion, English troops occupied the remains of the castle from 1547 to 1550. A large mound, encased by a wide ditch stood to the east of the Seaheugh Burn but this has now been ploughed level. A ditch and the finding of building debris on the site, may represent all that remains of the fortification. 3 miles south-west is Old Caerlaverock Castle and 8 miles east is Mote of Annan.