NY 025-656 Dumfriesshire Scotland
Caerlaverock Castle is a late 13th century stone enclosure fortress, founded by the Maxwells. The successor to Old Caerlaverock Castle, it was occupied by the English and the Scottish until its destruction in 1640, after a siege by Covenanters. The large rectangular outer courtyard is encased by a low rampart, with a round-arched stone gateway, in the north-east corner. The inner courtyard is triangular in plan, with a huge twin-towered gatehouse which is crownd by elaborate machicolation. Magnificent ranges of lodgings, are erected against the high curtain walls, which are flanked on the other two angles by circular towers. Encased by a wide wet moat, with earthworks and outer ditches, that have been modified to create 17th century defences. 2 miles north is Isle Tower and 5 miles north-east is Comlongon Castle.
Caerlaverock Castle is located south of Shearington, off the B725. 8 miles south-east of Dumfries on the B725.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-5:30pm, October to March 9:30-4:30pm.
There is a car park.