Bell Tower Berwick-upon-Tweed
NT 997-535 Northumberland England
Bell Tower is an Elizabethan stone octagonal four storey tower, founded in 1577. It flanks the line of the medieval town wall and is built on a circular base, of 1392. Over the centuries, it has been considerably repaired and altered, with the doors that gave access to the parapet walk, showing the original height of the wall. As the name suggests, it was used to warn the defenders of the Elizabethan Ramparts of a raid. Nearby are the Lord's Mount and Berwick Castle.
Bell Tower is located in Berwick-upon-Tweed, off Northumberland Avenue. 54 miles south-east of Edinburgh, on the A1.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is in the town centre.