Lord's Mount Berwick-upon-Tweed
NT 998-536 Northumberland England
Lord's Mount is a 16th century stone two storey artillery tower, founded by King Henry VIII. This enormous circular fortification, which probably supported an embrasured parapet, flanks the north-east angle of the medieval town wall. The surviving lower floor, has casemates for six long swivel guns and an accommodation range which includes, a garderobe, a kitchen and a well. The upper floor, with its platform for six more large guns and the captain's apartments, was dismantled in 1558 when the Elizabethan Ramparts were begun. Nearby are the Bell Tower and Berwick Castle.
Lord's Mount is located in Berwick-upon-Tweed, off Northumberland Avenue. 54 miles south-east of Edinburgh, on the A1.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is in the town centre.