SJ 291-298 Shropshire England
Oswestry Castle is a late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Renaud de Bailleul. In 1148, Madoc ap Meredyth founded the stone castle, when adding a polygonal shell keep to the flat-topped motte. The castle was in disrepair by the late 15th century but during the Civil War, it was besieged and captured by Thomas Mytton, of Halston Hall. The castle and the town wall were slighted between 1647 and 1673 and now only fragments of collapsed masonry survive. There is the possible remains of a reconstructed bastion on east side of the motte but sadly the bailey has been completely built over. 3 miles east is Whittington Castle and 6 miles north is Chirk Castle.