SJ 268-381 Wrexham Wales
Chirk Castle is a late 13th century stone quadrangular fortress, founded by Roger Mortimer. Completed in 1310 the high curtain wall, with its simple arched gateway is flanked by drum towers on the northern angles and three massive semi-circular central towers. Its intended plan appears to have been larger than what was actually executed and the castle now finishes just beyond the eastern and western towers, with the early 15th century southern curtain wall, added by Thomas, earl of Arundel. Internally only the four storey Adam's Tower is original and there is a long gallery in the southern range of Tudor lodgings, that replaced timber structures. The rest of the castle was altered or rebuilt, after being partly demolished and burnt in the Civil War. 2 miles east is Castell-y-Waun and 6 miles south is Oswestry Castle.
Chirk Castle is located west of Chirk, off Castle Road. 10 miles south of Wrexham, on the A483-A5.
The site is owned by The National Trust and is open daily, April to September 10:00-5:00pm, March and October 10:00-4:00pm, estate open all year 7:00-7:00pm or dusk if earlier.
There is a car park.