HomePage Path

Oswestry Town Wall
SJ 291-298

In 1277, Bogo de Khoville, sheriff of Shropshire founded the stone Town Wall, which protected medieval Oswestry from Welsh insurgents. Completed by 1304 with four gates, the greater part of the wall had been demolished by 1660, with the gates being removed between 1771 and 1782. Sadly the only section of the town wall visible above ground, juts out from the western corner of the revetment wall, which encases the motte.

Oswestry Town Wall


|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved