TQ 821-094 Sussex England
Hastings Castle was originally an earth and timber post-Conquest fortress, founded in 1066 by William of Normandy. Later an earthwork motte was added in-between the two baileys and the Ladies Parlour bailey, still retains part of its impressive rampart and the Conqueror's Ditch. In 1075, Robert, count of Eu, founded the Collegiate Church of St Mary-in-the-Castle and in the late 12th century, a great tower was also erected, in the west bailey. In the 13th century, the castle was extensively altered, with the lowering of the motte and the building of the east curtain wall, flanked by the South Tower and a twin-towered gatehouse. Sadly erosion by the sea, has consumed more that half of the original castle. 7 miles north-west is Battle Abbey and 15 miles west is Herstmonceux Castle.
Hastings Castle is located in the town centre, on West Hill. 36 miles east of Brighton, on the A27.
The site is owned by Hastings Borough Council and is open daily, April to September 10:00-5:00pm October 10:00-4:00pm.
Car parking is by the side of the road.