TQ 647-104 Sussex England
Herstmonceux Castle was originally a 12th century fortified manor house, founded by the de Herste family. In 1441, Sir Roger Fiennes founded a palatial brick castle, when he was granted licence to crenellate. The square platform, now partly encased by a wide moat, supports a quadrangular mansion, with octagonal flanking towers on the angles and an impressive gatehouse in the south facade. Originally the internal buildings were arranged around four courtyards, with the great hall in the centre but sadly the interior was dismantled in 1777. Restored and rebuilt from 1933, the new internal buildings are arranged around a single courtyard, within the 15th century walls. The castle is one of the oldest brick-built buildings in England and was the site of the Royal Observatory for 40 years. 7 miles west is Michelham Priory and 9 miles north-east is Battle Abbey.
Herstmonceux Castle is located south of the village centre, off Wartling Road. 12 miles north-east of Eastbourne, on the A22-A271.
The site is an International Study Centre and the gardens and grounds are open daily, mid April to October 10:00-6:00pm, closes at 5:00pm in October. Castle tours are conducted throughout the season, check website for availability.
There is a car park.