Lewes Priory Great Gate
TQ 413-097 Sussex England
Lewes Priory Great Gate is an early 13th century stone gatehouse, of the Cluniac Priory of St Pancras. Founded by William and Gundrada de Warenne in 1077, King Edward III granted the priory licence to crenellate in 1361. Dissolved in November 1538, the gate was partly dismantled in the 19th century, leaving only one small archway and two fragments of wall. Standing in the priory grounds is the Battle of Lewes Monument and to the east is The Mount. On high ground to the north is Lewes Castle.
Lewes Priory Great Gate is located in the town centre, off Southover High Street, east of Southover Parish Church. 8 miles north-east of Brighton, on the A27-B2193.
The site is visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.