Lincluden College Tower
NX 966-779 Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland
Lincluden College Tower is a 16th century stone tower house, founded by the Provost William Stewart. Standing on the site of an earlier nunnery in the bailey of Kirkhill Mote, the collegiate church was founded in 1389, by Archibald the Grim, Earl of Douglas. After the Reformation, the three storey range immediately adjacent to the church, was doubled in length and a four storey tower added to its northern end. Guarding the ground floor entrance, is the remains of a projecting semi-octagonal stair turret, with gunloops. Half a mile south-west is Lochside Motte and 5 miles east is Torthorwald Castle.
Lincluden College Tower is located north of Dumfries, off Abbey Lane. A mile north of Dumfries, on the A780-A76.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.