NX 968-779 Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland
Kirkhill Mote is an early 12th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Fergus, lord of Galloway. In 1164, Uchtred, lord of Galloway founded a Benedictine nunnery on the site of the bailey and after the Reformation its domestic buildings were fortified. The oval motte which has been terraced as part of a pleasance, is one of three castles that stand against the banks of River Nith, in or near to Dumfries. The two other castles that were built to defend the town, are sited two miles to the south, on the eastern bank is Dumfries Castle and on the western bank is Mote of Troqueer. 4 miles north-east is Tinwald Castle.
Kirkhill Mote is located in Lincluden, off Abbey Lane. A mile north of Dumfries, on the A780-A76.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.
Copyright © 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved