NT 589-212 Roxburghshire Scotland
Barnhills Castle is a small 16th century stone rectangular tower house, founded by the Turnbulls. Overlooked by Fatlips Castle and built against the north bank of Craigend Burn, during the 1545 'Rough Wooing' invasion English troops under the Earl of Hereford burnt 'Barne helles'. Repaired by 1548-9, when 'Barnehyll' was among the houses appointed to watch the fords of River Tweed but now the ruined tower only stands to the height of the first floor. Its barrel-vaulted basement is pierced by gun-loops and two small windows, with a rough opening in the east wall indicating the position of the entrance. Inside there are traces of a short straight flight of steps within the thickness of the wall and in the south-east angle a newel staircase. 8 miles south-west is Hawick Motte and 10 miles north is the Commendator's House.