Fatlips Castle Minto Crags
NT 582-209 Roxburghshire Scotland
Fatlips Castle is a 16th century stone rectangular tower house, founded by the Turnbulls of Barnhill. Of three storeys and a garret, the ground floor entrance leads to the vaulted basement, with a rebuilt newel-staircase in the south-east angle. Rising to the parapet, the stair gives access to each floors and at the garret, a round caphouse leads to a modern corbelled parapet-walk with four angle-rounds. Restored in 1857, the interior was renovated in 1897 when the tower was used as a shooting box and a private museum but sadly it is now once again ruinous. Nearby is Barnhills Castle and 4 miles east is Jedburgh Castle.