HomePage Path
Burleigh Castle
NO 129-046 Kinross-shire Scotland

Burleigh Castle Burleigh Castle is a mid 15th century stone rectangular tower house and courtyard fortress, founded by Sir John Balfour of Balgarvie. Of three storeys and a garret, the tower is crowned by the remains of a corbelled-out parapet, with open rounds on the angles and a caphouse. With a vaulted basement and a first floor hall, the ground floor entrance leads through a lobby to a turnpike stair, that gives access to every floor. Joined to the tower is a section of barmkin wall with an arched gateway, behind this in 1582 Sir James Balfour of Pittendreich added a gatehouse range, flanked on its south-west angle by a tower. A square chamber, corbelled-out from two rounded lower storeys crowns this tower and both gate and tower are amply pierced by oval gun-loops. To the west, the ditch appears as an irregular depression but the rest of the ditch, barmkin and ranges of building are sadly missing. 2 miles south is Lochleven Castle and 6 miles north-east is Balvaird Castle.


Street Map

Burleigh Castle is located east of Milnathort, off the A911. 14 miles south of Perth, on the M90.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.

Car parking is by the side of the road.


Burleigh Castle pictures and large castle map
Burleigh Castle Picture 1Burleigh Castle Picture 2Burleigh Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved