HomePage Path
Balvaird Castle
NO 170-115 Perthshire Scotland

Balvaird Castle Balvaird Castle is a late 15th century stone L plan tower house and courtyard fortress, founded by Sir Andrew Murray. Standing on a rocky outcrop, traces of earthen ramparts down the slope may have belonged to an earlier castle of the Barclay family. Of three storeys and an attic, there is an extra storey in the wing and the square stair-tower in the re-entrant angle, is crowned by a two storey caphouse and watch-chamber. In 1567, a two storey gatehouse range with a large room over the entrance passage, was added to the north-east angle of the barmkin. The tower stands to its original height and there is an outer courtyard to the north but most of the outbuildings are totally ruinous. The square enclosure to the south of the barmkin, is usually interpreted as a pleasure garden and adjoining to the east, was a large walled garden or orchard. 6 miles south-west is Burleigh Castle and 9 miles north is Elcho Castle.


Street Map

Balvaird Castle is located north-west of Gateside, off the A912. 9 miles south of Perth, on the A912.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.

There is a car park.


Balvaird Castle pictures and large castle map
Balvaird Castle Picture 1Balvaird Castle Picture 2Balvaird Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved