HomePage Path
Blair Castle
NN 866-662 Perthshire Scotland

Blair Castle Blair Castle was originally a mid 13th century stone tower house, probably founded by John Comyn of Badenoch. In 1530 the 3rd Earl of Atholl, attached to the Comyn's or Cumming's Tower, a southern first floor Great Hall, with a series of vaulted chambers below. Added to through the centuries, in 1653 the castle was besieged, captured and partly destroyed with power by Colonel Daniel, one of Cromwell’s commanders. In the mid 18th century, the 2nd Duke of Atholl transformed the medieval structure into a stylish home of the period, removing the crenellations and applying fashionable Georgian finishes. In March 1746, when the castle was held by a government garrison under Sir Andrew Agnew, it was attacked and damaged by the Jacobite, Lord George Murray. In the mid 19th century, the 7th Duke of Atholl commissioned David Bryce and William Burne to reinstate crenellations and turrets and erect a new entrance hall. Now a very large harled and whitewashed Scottish Baronial mansion, only the lower part of the original tower survives. 4 miles west at Old Struan is Tom an Tigh Mhoir and 9 miles south-east at Moulin is Caisteal Dubh.


Street Map

Blair Castle is located in Blair Atholl, off the B8079. 8 miles north-west of Pitlochry, on the A9.

The site is owned by Atholl Estates and is open daily, April to October 9:30-5:30pm, November to March Tuesdays and Saturdays 9:30-2:30pm. Last admission to the castle is one hour prior to closing.

There is a car park.


Blair Castle pictures and large castle map
Blair Castle Picture 1Blair Castle Picture 2Blair Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved