Caisteal Dubh Moulin
NN 947-589 Perthshire Scotland
Caisteal Dubh is an early 14th century rectangular stone courtyard fortress, founded by Sir John Campbell of Lochow. Possibly built on the site of an earlier fortification, it stood at the end of a low peninsula, that jutted out into a loch. Traditionally the castle was abandoned and burnt in 1512, after an outbreak of plague and the loch was drained in the early 18th century. The ruinous Black Castle of Moulin is now encased by cultivated fields and its fragmented walls are flanked on the north-west and south-west angles, by the remains of round towers. 9 miles north-west at Blair Atholl is Blair Castle and 15 miles south-west at Weem is Castle Menzies.