HomePage Path
Spynie Palace
NJ 231-658 Moray Scotland

Spynie PalaceSpynie Palace was possibly a late 12th century defensible timber bishop's residence, founded by Richard of Lincoln. Standing against a low cliff that overlooked the sea-loch of Spynie, the palace was for five centuries the principal residence of the Bishops of Moray. The first clear reference to Spynie Castle is in the late 13th century but the south and west stone enclosure walls, with the stump of a round tower flanking the south-west angle, are 14th century. In the 15th century, the elaborate east gate replaced the earlier south gate and rectangular flanking towers were added to the north-west and south-east angles. From the mid 15th century, Bishop David Stewart started the six storey David’s Tower that now flanks the south-west angle and by 1500, a large new great hall and chamber had been erected along the north side of the courtyard. In the 16th century, Bishop Patrick Hepburn had the bases of the flanking towers, pierced by wide-mouthed gun-ports and in 1645 the palace was unsuccessfully besieged by the Earl of Huntly. Sadly in the late 17th century after the abolition of episcopacy, the ruined palace was abandoned. 2 miles south-west at Elgin is Bishop's House and 3 miles north-west is Duffus Castle.


Street Map

Spynie Palace is located west of Loch Spynie, off the A941. 3 miles north-east of Elgin, on the A941.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-5:30pm, Saturday and Sunday October to March 9:30-4:30pm.

There is a car park.


Spynie Palace pictures and large castle map
Spynie Palace Picture 1Spynie Palace Picture 2Spynie Palace Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved