Bishop's House Elgin
NJ 221-631 Moray Scotland
Bishop's House is a 15th century stone defensible L-plan town house, founded by the Bishops of Moray. Immediately opposite Elgin Cathedral and traditionally believed to have been the house of the Bishops of Moray, it was probably the manse of the precentor. The partially ruined main block had a vaulted kitchen and two cellars to the ground floor, the hall was on the first floor, with a suite of rooms above. The stair tower is crowned by a gabled watch-chamber and an armorial panel on the three storey north wing is dated 1557, all the remaining windows are small, expect for part of a fine oriel. Nearby is Tower Hotel and 3 miles south-east at Coxtontower is Coxton Tower.