NY 615-663 Cumbria England
Birdoswald Bastle was a 16th century rectangular stone two storey defensible farmhouse, owned by the Tweddaile family. Built against the west gate of Banna Roman Fort, the bastle was raided in 1588 by Olde and Young Will Elliot of the Steill and again in 1590 by the Armstrong and Nixon families. Sady only the foundations survive of the strong walls, with a removable stair up to the living quarters and a ground floor for stores and their livestock, which provided a shelter from the cross-border reivers, until help arrived. Successor to Birdoswald Tower and the predecessor of Birdoswald Stronghouse. 5 miles south-west is Naworth Castle.
Birdoswald Bastle is located in Birdoswald Roman Fort, off the B6318. 7 miles north-west of Haltwhistle, on the A69-B6318.
The site is owned by English Heritage and open daily, April to September 10:00-5:30pm, October 10:00-4:00pm, Saturday and Sunday November to March 10:00-4:00pm. The exterior of the fort, is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park.