NY 560-626 Cumbria England
Naworth Castle was originally a 13th century fortified manor house or stone tower house, founded by de Multon family. In 1335, Ranulph de Dacre founded the stone castle, when granted a licence to crenellate and added the Dacre Tower and parts of the curtain wall. Remodelled in the 16th and 17th century, it is now an impressive irregular quadrangular fortress. The high curtain wall has small turrets, in the centre and on the angles and is dominated by two, five storey towers. The 16th century courtyard entrance, still has its yett and is protected by the remains of a barmkin wall, a gatehouse and a squat tower flanking the ditch. A mile north is Lanercost Priors Tower and 8 miles north-east is Thirlwall Castle.
Naworth Castle is located in Naworth Park, off the A69. 13 miles north-east of Carlisle, on the A689-A69.
The hotel is owned by the Howard family and offers, private tours, a wedding ceremony or corporate events, check website for details. The castle is visible from the road.
There is a car park.