NT 906-475 Northumberland England
Norham Castle is an early 12th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Bishop, Ralph de Flambard. In 1157, Bishop, Hugh de Puiset founded the stone castle, when adding a keep and a curtain wall to the large motte and two gatehouses to the kidney-shaped outer bailey. In the 13th century, the outer bailey curtain wall was built on a substructure of arches and flanked by towers and turrets. After the siege of 1513, Bishop, Thomas Ruthal rebuild the castle, strengthening the damaged fortifications with gun-ports and flanking bastions. Around 1900, one of the south bastions was absorbed in the construction of a gothic cottage. 4 miles south-west is Twizel Castle and 7 miles north-east is Berwick Castle.
Norham Castle is located east of the village centre, off the B6470. 7 miles south-west of Berwick Upon Tweed, on the A698.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open, April to September 10:00-5:00pm.
There is a car park.
Copyright © 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved