NT 882-434 Northumberland England
Twizel Castle was originally a 15th century stone tower or hall house, founded by Sir John Heron. Destroyed and abandoned in 1496, Sir Francis Blake absorbed the house and barmkin, in the construction of a late 18th century five storey Gothic mansion. Rectangular in plan, with circular towers on the angles and two wings on the north side, the basement rooms in the main block, are stone or brick-vaulted as a precaution against fire. After being built for over 50 years, the house was never finished and it is now a two storey folly. Of the medieval fortalice, blocked windows, a chamfered doorway and the original north-east angle quoins are visible. 4 miles north-east is Norham Castle and 6 miles south-west is Wark Castle.