SP 312-895 Warwickshire England
Astley Castle was possibly a mid 12th century fortified manor house, founded by Philip de Estlega. In 1266, Warin de Bassingburn founded the stone castle, when King Henry III granted him a license to crenellate Esteleye. The oval platform encased by a moat, supported a hall with a solar block, a gatehouse and a curtain wall. In the 15th to 17th century, the Grey family dismantled and then rebuilt the house, which was remodelled in the early 19th century. The castle is associated with three queens of England but in 1978 it burned down when in use as a hotel. Restored in 2012, a modern dwelling house now lies within the complex roughly rectangular range of ruined two storey buildings, crowned by an embattled parapet. 2 miles south-west is Fillongley Castle Hills and 4 miles north is Hartshill Castle.
Astley Castle is located in the village centre, off Post Office Row. 8 miles north of Coventry, on the B4098-B4102.
The site now leased to The Landmark Trust, is part of the Arbury Estate. Its holiday accommodation can be booked and the castle is visible from the church of St Mary.
Car parking is by the side of the road.