SP 325-943 Warwickshire England
Hartshill Castle is a 12th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Hugh de Hardreshull. In 1330, John de Hardreshull founded the stone castle when enclosing the bailey, with an irregular polygonal curtain wall, pierced by cross-shaped loopholes. To the north-west, stands the circular motte, encased by a wide ditch and in the bailey are the remains of a contemporary stone-built chapel. In the 16th century, Michael and Edmund Parker founded a castellated, four-gabled timber-framed manor house, in the north east angle of the bailey but sadly the greater part of the house has collapsed. 4 miles south is Astley Castle and 8 miles east is Hinckley Castle.
Hartshill Castle is located in the village centre, off Castle Road. 12 miles north of Coventry, on the A444-B4114.
The site is on the east side of Hartshill Hayes Country Park and is strictly private, with no public access. The walls are visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.