SO 149-346 Brecknockshire Wales
Bronllys Castle is thought to occupy a pre-Norman princely court or llys, sited above the floodplain of Afon Llynfi. In the late 11th or early 12th century Richard fitz Pons founded an earthwork motte and bailey fortress on the site. In the mid 12th century Walter de Clifford founded the stone castle, when crowning the ditched motte with the 'principal tower', which was damaged by fire in 1165. In the 13th century a two storey round keep with a vaulted basement incorporated this tower. A forebuilding once protected the first floor entrance and the keep was crowned with a three windowed storey, in the 14th century. To the north a now landscaped pentagonal enclosure of two wards, is defined by sections of banks and ditches. In the early 15th century, the castle was prepared against Owain Glyndwr and the late 18th or early 19th century house standing in the inner ward, may include the remains of a medieval building. A mile south-east is Talgarth Tower and 7 miles south-west is Llanddew Bishop's Palace.
Bronllys Castle is located south-east the village centre, off Bronllys Road. 8 miles north-east of Brecon, on the A470-A479.
The site is owned by Cadw and is open daily 10:00-4:00pm.
Car parking is by the side of the road, in the lay-by.