HomePage Path
Llanddew Bishop's Palace
SO 055-308 Brecknockshire Wales

Llanddew Bishop's PalaceLlanddew Bishop's Palace is a medieval quadrilateral fortified residence, founded by the bishops of St Davids. Encased by the remains of its irregular 12th century precinct wall, flanked by a small solid half-round bastion, it was built on the site of an earlier Celtic clas or religious community. Adjoining the bastion is the vaulted double-sided Bishop Gower's Well, which is said to be of mid 14th century construction. To the south is a reset doorway, which retains elements of the medieval gate and to the north are the remains of substantial masonry buildings, which include a first floor hall block set over a vaulted basement. The late 12th century home of the archdeacon of Brecon, Giraldus Cambrensis or Gerald of Wales, the site was abandoned after the mid 16th century Reformation but in 1857 it was redeveloped as a vicarage. 2 miles south-east is Alexanderstone Castle Llanddew and 2 miles south-west is Brecon Castle.


Street Map

Llanddew Bishop's Palace is located in the village centre, off the B4602. 2 miles north-east of Brecon, on local roads.

The site is a private residence, with no public access and is visible from the road, check website for details.

Car parking is by the side of the road.


Llanddew Bishop's Palace pictures and castle map of the area
Llanddew Bishop's Palace Picture 1Llanddew Bishop's Palace Picture 2Llanddew Bishop's Palace Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved