SN 022-181 Pembrokeshire Wales
Wiston Castle is a 12th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Wizo, the Fleming. The site was originally an Iron Age enclosure and an early town borough was contained within the large bailey. After its captured and destruction by the Welsh in 1220, William Marshal the younger founded the stone castle and located the borough outside the bailey. The motte encased by a ditch, supports the remains of a two storey 16-sided shell keep and the large oval bailey, is defended by a high rampart and ditch. 3 miles east is Llawhaden Castle and 4 miles south is Picton Castle.
Wiston Castle is located in the village centre, off Conkland Hill. 16 miles north of Pembroke, on the A4075-A40.
The site is owned by Cadw and is open daily, 10:00 to 4:00pm.
There is a car park.