SN 073-175 Pembrokeshire Wales
Llawhaden Castle was originally an 12th century earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by Bishop Bernard. After its captured and destruction by the Welsh in 1193, the bishops of St Davids founded the stone keep and courtyard castle, when adding a curtain wall, flanked by round towers and a large circular keep. In the 14th century, Bishop Adam de Houghton transformed the castle and with a major reconstruction, he founded a fortified palace. Around the courtyard, are the remains of two impressive suites of lodgings and flanking the wide ditch are two octagonal and two square towers. Protecting the entrance and standing to its full height, is the facade of the three storey twin-towered gatehouse. 3 miles west is Wiston Castle and 8 miles south is Cresswell Castle.
Llawhaden Castle is located in the village centre, off the A40. 14 miles north-east of Pembroke, on the A4075-A40.
The site is owned by Cadw and is open daily, 10:00 to 4:00pm.
There is a car park.