SJ 291-376 Wrexham Wales
Castell-y-Waun is a circular flat-topped earthwork motte, founded by the lords of Chirk. The mound with no trace of a ditch, is set within what appears to be a subrectangular bailey platform. Mentioned in 1165 and 1212, it overlooks a steep drop to Afon Ceiriog and with its dense cover of trees, its best view is in winter. 2 miles west is Chirk Castle.
Castell-y-Waun is located in Chirk, off Trevor Road. 8 miles south of Wrexham, on the A483-A5.
The site is visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.