Ightham Mote Ivy Hatch
TQ 585-535 Kent England
Ightham Mote was originally a 14th century fortified manor house, owned by Sir Thomas Cawne. Built in 1340, the square platform encased by a wide moat, supported an open hall, the Old Chapel with a crypt beneath it and two solar ranges. In the late 15th century, Edward Haut founded the quadrangular stronghouse, when enclosed the courtyard and adding a outer quadrangle of lodgings and stables. The entrance in the west range was a plain arched gateway, with the gatehouse being added by Sir Richard Clement in the 16th century. 3 miles east at Plaxtol is Old Soar Manor and 3 miles west at Sevenoaks is Knole House.
Ightham Mote is located south of Ivy Hatch, off Mote Road. 5 miles north of Tonbridge, on the A227.
The site is owned by The National Trust and is open daily, March to October 11:00-5:00pm, by tour November and December 11:00-3:00pm. The estate is open daily, dawn to dusk.
There is a car park.