TQ 529 378 Kent England
Groombridge Place was originally a mid 13th century fortified manor house, founded by William Russell. In 1412, Jean count d' Angoulême and of Périgord, the younger brother of Charles, duke of Orleans was delivered to Groombridge and held hostage by the Waller family, until 1444. Encased by a stone-lined moat, the 17th century two storey brick house, incorporates a medieval timber framed courtyard house. In 1912, the medieval house was dismantled at Court Lodge, Udimore and built in to the centre of the main front of Groombridge Place. 5 miles north is Penshurst Place and 12 miles south-east is Scotney Castle.
Groombridge Place is located north of Groombridge, off Groombridge Hill. 4 miles south-west of Royal Tunbridge Wells, on the A264-B2110.
The site is owned by Groombridge Asset Management and the gardens are open daily, April to early November 10:00-5:30pm. The house is visible from a public footpath, which passes the moat from Groombridge Hill.
There is a car park.