TQ 689-352 Kent England
Scotney Castle is an irregular stone quadrangle fortress, probably founded in 1378 by Roger de Ashburnham. Supported on two islands connected by a defended bridge and encased by a wide moat, the surviving curtain wall of the inner ward, is now only a revetment to the moat. Heavily machicolated round angle towers flanked the wall, sadly only the Ashburnham Tower is complete, the piers of the gatehouse and the emplacements of the other towers, one with a doorway give their location. On the outer ward are two fragments of stonework and a later gabled, wooden boathouse. In 1580 the Darrell family, rebuilt the south wing and added a brick three storey east range in 1640. In the mid 19th century, the castle and the east wing were dismantled, to make a romantic garden feature. 10 miles south-east is Bodiam Castle and 12 miles north-west is Tonbridge Castle.
Scotney Castle is located south-east of Lamberhurst, off the A21. 17 miles south-west of Maidstone, on the A229-B2079.
The site is owned by The National Trust and the castle and gardens are open daily, mid February to October 11:00-5:30pm November to mid December 11:00-3:00pm, house mid February to October 11:00-5:00pm, estate walks open all year, dawn to dusk.
There is a car park.