Broomhall Copse Rudgwick
TQ 077-345 Surrey England
Broomhall Copse is a Norman earth and timber ringwork fortress. Standing on a sandstone and clay ridge, the ringwork is now a low circular flat-topped mound, encased by a wide ditch. The interior was accessed through the south-eastern defences, by a simple wide causewayed entrance. Partly excavated in 1928, when fragments of glazed Norman pottery and red floor tiles were discovered. There was also indications, that contemporary timber structures were burnt and the earthwork defences slighted, when the site was abandoned in the mid 12th century. 3 miles south is Drungewick Manor Loxwood and 12 miles north is Guildford Castle.
Broomhall Copse is located north of Rudgwick, off Cooks Hill. 18 miles south-west of Reigate, on the A24-A29.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.