Barley Pound Crondall
SU 796-466 Hampshire England
Barley Pound is a large 12th century earth and timber ringwork and baileys fortress, founded by the bishop of Winchester. The inner ringwork, resembles a low flat-topped motte, which is due to the demolition of its encasing rampart and a 12th century flintwork masonry. All the four possible baileys, which gave defence the north, west and south, were encased by ramparts, with ditches and counterscarp banks. This fortification may be Lidelea Castle, which was mention in the Gesta Stephani for 1147, when it was captured by King Stephen. After its return to Henry of Blois, it was dismantled and abandoned in favour of the more powerful Farnham Castle. To the east is Powder Castle Crondall, one of two 1147 siege-castles.
Barley Pound is located south of Crondall, off Dippenhall Road. 3 miles west of Farnham, on the A325 and Crondall Lane.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from Dippenhall Road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.