SU 837-473 Surrey England
Farnham Castle is a stone motte and bailey fortress, founded by Henry of Blois, bishop of Winchester, in 1138. Buried in the centre of the chalk motte, is the square base of a high stone tower, with a central well shaft. To the south, is a triangular inner bailey, which had a range of domestic buildings including kitchens, a chapel and great hall, encased by a ditch. In 1155, the castle was slighted and the tower dismantled but before the end of the century the fortification had been rebuilt. The motte was totally enclosed by a shell keep, with four towers and a shallow gatehouse and the enlarged outer bailey, encased by a wide ditch and a curtain wall, flanked by square mural towers and a gatehouse. In the late 15th century, the three storey brick Fox's Tower, was added to the south west of the hall. The keep was abandoned after Civil War slighting but the residential buildings of the bishops palace, have been in continuous occupation, since the 12th century. 2 mile west at Crondall is Powder Castle and 11 miles east is Guildford Castle.
Farnham Castle is located in the town centre, off Castle Street. 11 miles west of Guildford, on the A31.
The keep is owned
by English Heritage and is open daily all year, 9:00-5:00pm, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.