TR 378-501 Kent England
Walmer Castle is a low, stone artillery fortress, founded in 1539 by King Henry VIII. Built as the southern fort of a closely placed series of three, they guard the sheltered anchorage, of the Downs. The circular, central keep, is encased by a series of four outer bastions, one serving as the gatehouse, they form the curtain wall. At basement level, a gallery with gun loops provides defence, of the deep, wide moat. In the 18th and 19th century, the upper levels of the outer bastions were modified and residential enlargements made, to turn the castle into a miniature stately home. From 1708, it became the official residence, of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and in 1940, a pillbox was constructed in the castle. A mile north is Deal Castle and 7 miles south-west is Dover Castle.
Walmer Castle is located in the town centre, off Kingsdown Road. 7 miles north-east of Dover, on the A258.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to September 10:00-6:00pm, Saturday and Sunday March and October 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.