TR 378-522 Kent England
Deal Castle is a low, stone artillery fortress, founded in 1539 by King Henry VIII. Built as the central fort of a closely placed series of three, they guard the sheltered anchorage of the Downs. The largest of coastal forts, the circular, central keep is encased by six bastions, which rise to first floor height. A series of six outer bastions one serving as the gatehouse, form the curtain wall and at basement level, a gallery with gun loops provides defence, of the deep, wide moat. Fortified during the Napoleonic Wars, many alterations were made during the 18th and 19th century. Perfectly symmetrical and designed to resemble a Tudor rose, it was the official residence of the Captain of the Cinque Ports, until 1951. A mile south-west is Old Walmer Court and a mile north is Sandown Castle.
Deal Castle is located in the town centre, off Victoria Road. 8 miles north-east of Dover, on the A258.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to September 10:00-6:00pm, Saturday and Sunday October to March 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.