TQ 131-651 Surrey England
Wayneflete's Tower was originally an 11th century manorial complex, sited on the banks of the River Mole. In 1462, Bishop William Waynflete of Winchester, founded the brick Palace of Esher and incorporated the medieval stone fortified manor house. The four storey gatehouse, with semi-octagonal turrets to the fore, was linked by a high curtain wall to a huge brick keep, which had octagonal turrets on the angles. Sadly in 17th century, the keep, the great hall, the curtain wall and associated building ranges were all demolished, down to there foundations. In the 18th century, Henry Pelham added a pair of wings and a porch, when integrating the tower into a Gothic mansion house. 3 miles north-east is Hampton Court Palace and 15 miles north-west is Windsor Castle.
Wayneflete's Tower is located in Esher, off Pelhams Walk. 16 miles south-west of London, on the A3212-A307.
The site is strictly private, with no public access, check website for details. To view please walk from Esher Green, down the estate road of Esher Place.
There are car parks nearby.