Hamstead Marshall Castle 3
SU 421-669 Berkshire England
Hamstead Marshall Castle 3 is possibly an early 13th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Gilbert Marshal. Built away from the high ground to the south, the oval motte is encased by a once wet ditch and to the north-west are traces of a low ring banked bailey. In 1153 during the civil war, in the reign of King Stephen, 'Newbury' castle was held for the Empress Matilda by John Marshal and this may be its site. King Stephen besieged him there for two months and erected to the east Hamstead Marshall Castle 1 as a Royalist siege-castle. Standing nearby is Hamstead Marshall Castle 2, which might be the predecessor or part of a conquest castle with two mottes. In 1218 King Henry III was entertained here and in the 1350s King Edward III stayed several times at the castle.
Hamstead Marshall Castle 3 is located in Hamstead Park, south of Marsh Benham, off Park Lane. 3 miles west of Newbury, on the A4.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from the church of St Mary, check website for details.
Car parking is by the side of the road.