NT 236-405 Peeblesshire Scotland
Neidpath Castle is a late 14th century stone four storey L-plan tower house, probably founded by Sir William Hay. Built against the steep banks of the River Tweed, it stands on site of a late 12th century castle, probably founded by Sir Gilbert Fraser. The main block with its rounded corners, originally had three vaulted rooms but extensive alterations in mid 17th century, removed the top vault and divided the middle vault, to fit in extra floors. In the small courtyard which is entered through the remains of a gateway with a round-headed arch, are a range of buildings from the 16th or 17th century. During Oliver Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1650, the tower was attacked and damage by troops under General Lambert. By 1790 the castle was neglected and the upper storeys of the wing had collapsed, rebuilt by the Wemyss family they still conserve and improved Neidpath. A mile east is Castle Hill and 4 miles south-west is Castlehill Tower.
Neidpath Castle is located west of Peebles, off the A72. A mile west of Peebles, on the A72.
The site is owned by the Wemyss and March Estate and offers by arrangement, accommodation, private tours, a wedding ceremony or corporate events, check website for details. The castle is visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.