NS 587-600 Lanarkshire Scotland
Cathcart Castle is a 15th century stone tower house and courtyard fortress, founded by the Cathcarts. The family had held the estate from the 12th century and above White Cart Water on Court Hill, are the outline features of a possible encasing earth ringwork. Standing inside a small rectangular barmkin flanked by round angle towers, was a rectangular tower house with a first floor hall over a vaulted basement. Abandoned in 1740 when the roof was removed, by 1866 the tower still had its five storeys and was now surrounded by smaller buildings. By 1980 the castle was in a dangerous condition and the local council had it reduced to three low walls. Its remains are now hidden in a mass of trees and vegetation, at the top of a overhanging cliff in Linn Park. 5 miles west is Crookston Castle and 10 miles east at Uddingston is Bothwell Castle.