HomePage Path
Huntingtower House of Ruthven
NO 083-251 Perthshire Scotland

HuntingtowerHuntingtower was originally the early 15th century House of Ruthven, a stone rectangular keep founded by the Ruthven family. Its three storeys and garret, are crowned by a corbelled-out parapet and when a western L-plan tower house was built in late 15th or 16th century, the keep was also remodelled. Almost but not quite touching, the main block of the tower house is of four storeys and garret, the wing is a storey higher and both have a corbelled-out parapet. The two towers flanked a strong walled barmkin and in the late 16th century, a great hall was attached to the north side of the keep. In 1582, the castle was the scene of the 'Ruthven Raid' when the young King James VI was held here against his will. But following the 'Gowrie Conspiracy' of 1600, Ruthven was granted to William Murray, earl of Dysart and renamed Huntingtower. In 1663, after the castle passed to the Murrays of Tullibardine, the two towers were linked by a one bay block. 5 miles south-east is Kinfauns Castle.


Street Map

Huntingtower is located south of Ruthvenfield, off Castle Brae. 3 miles west of Perth, on the A85.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-5:30pm, October 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday to Wednesday November to March 9:30-4:30pm.

There is a car park.


Huntingtower pictures and large castle map
Huntingtower Picture 1Huntingtower Picture 2Huntingtower Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved