HomePage Path
Kilravock Castle
NH 814-494 Nairnshire Scotland

Kilravock Castle Kilravock Castle was originally a mid 15th century stone rectangular tower house and courtyard fortress, founded by the Roses of Kilravock. The tower is of five storeys and a garret, the parapet is flanked on the angles by open rounds and a square caphouse. Built under licence granted by John, Lord of the Isles and Earl of Ross, in the mid 16th century a rectangular four storey mansion house was added. The house was enlarged in the 17th century and a square stair-wing was built in the south-west angle. In the 18th century the house was remodelled with the addition of a west wing but gun-loops and shot-holes still pierced the walls. Just before the Battle of Culloden in 1746, both Prince Charles Edward Stuart and the Duke of Cumberland visited the castle. 2 miles east is Cawdor Castle and 3 miles south-west is Cantraydoune.


Street Map

Kilravock Castle is located east of Croy, off the B9091. 12 miles east of Inverness, on the A96-B9091.

The site is owned by the Kilravock Castle Christian Trust and offers, accommodation, functions, weddings and guided tours, May to September. Guided tours of the castle are daily at 9:30am and 2:30pm on Wednesday, by arrangement with the management.

There is a car park.


Kilravock Castle pictures and large castle map
Kilravock Castle Picture 1Kilravock Castle Picture 2Kilravock Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved