Cartmel Priory Gatehouse
SD 378-788 Cumbria England
Cartmel Priory Gatehouse is a mid 14th century stone two storey gatehouse, of the Augustinian priory. Founded in 1189-94, by William Marshall, the priory church was one of the few to survive the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The gatehouse was built to fortify the priory's main entrance, after the raids by King Robert the Bruce, in 1315 and 1322. The interior passage of the large vehicular archway, would originally have given access to small chambers, one being the porter's lodge and the other a prison. On the first floor, is The Great Room which was used as the Court of the Priors and later as a school. Now sadly hemmed in and hidden by other buildings, it lacks decorative features. 2 miles south is Wraysholme Tower.
Cartmel Priory Gatehouse is located in the village centre, off The Square. 25 miles north-west of Lancaster, on the M6-A590.
The site is managed by The National Trust and is visible from the road. The Great Room is open several days a year.
There is a car park nearby.