Blackbird Inn Ponteland
NZ 166-729 Northumberland England
Blackbird Inn is a 13th century stone tower house, founded by William de Valence. The tower with its barrel-vaulted basement and newel stair, is the only surviving part of a much larger defensible manorial complex, which was destroyed in a Scottish raid in 1388. In the 16th century, Mark Errington restored the basement and first floor of the tower, inserting Tudor windows and a fireplace, with a large chimney breast on the outside wall. In the 17th century, the house was absorbed in the construction of a Jacobean manor house. Adjacent is Church of St Mary and nearby in Ponteland is the Vicar's Pele.
Blackbird Inn is located in Ponteland, off North Road. 8 miles north-west of Newcastle upon Tyne, on the A696.
The site is the Blackbird Inn public house and is freely accessible in daylight hours. The fireplace in the basement can be seen during opening hours.
There is a car park.