Church of St Mary Ponteland
NZ 166-729 Northumberland England
Church of St Mary is a 12th century stone church, which was probably defensible. The access to the upper levels of the substantial Norman west tower was by ladder and the late 14th or early 15th century southern entrance is on the angle. From 1150-55 to being dissolved in 1303 it was a secular college but there are no remains of any colligiate buildings. In the 15th century the church was still being remodelled but in the 19th century it was heavily restored, there is a 10th century cross fragment built into the south wall of the tower. Adjacent is the Blackbird Inn.